Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Tutorial: Butterfly Shadow Box

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

One of my more recent DIY projects involved some butterfly magnets I got from Paper Source in downtown Portland, OR on a trip I took to home.

Things you may need:
- Scissors
- Cork board
- Thin/Long piece of metal
- Shadow Box
- Butterflies (or anything else you want to put inside.)
- Stapler

Here we go step by step:

1. Cut out piece of cork board to fit the frame you are using. (You could easily use anything you want for the back board of the frame, but cork was easy to mount on and gave a nice textured look for the background of the colorful butterflies.)


2. Choose picture frame.


3. Staple metal piece to the cork board. (You try using a straightened paper clip if it is thin enough.)


4. Arrange butterflies on the metal piece. (Try putting the butterflies facing the same direction, then try facing them in opposition, see which you like the most.)



5. Place the mounted butterflies into the frame and make sure that everything is secure.


6. Find a creative spot to place you small, yet explosive patch of color and fun!


There ya go! Let me know what you think of mine, and send me a pic if you make one!

3 comments:

Kate Weber said...

Dude! Zentangle Chicken in the other frame! I love zentangles!

Great tutorial! It would be so easy to do this for so many other things!

Married In Chicago said...

I'm not a huge butterfly girl, but i LOVE the little bird print (poster? sketch?) behind it on the shelf!

ethanjcrenshaw said...

Kate - Thank you for the compliments, I am glad you like it. It was really fun to make all of it.

Married In Chicago - The bird in the back is from IKEA, I bought it for nothing more than $4!!!

Post a Comment

 
◄Design by Pocket